Joseph au Cambodge

Les merveilleuses aventures de votre serviteur au pays des Khmers

23 January 2006

God, the sun and the Holy Spirit of electricity

During six days, God worked hard on creating the world and on the 6th day, Adam said: "Oh, my God, how am I going to shave when there's no electricity outlet here?" - "Sorry guy, God answered, it's 5 pm, my wife's waiting for me for Sabbath, I'll see ya next week." But the next week God was nowhere to be found... So mankind was left to make electricity by itself.
 
Phnom Penh has two fuel centrals but they're not equipped with turbines, they are just using engines! Basically, the whole city is on two large generators... Actually many buildings produce their own electricity because the high price (about 20 cts/kWh) only gets higher with higher consumption (in order theoretically to rationalize consumption).

Areas are blacked out in turns because production is lower than demand. Of course, my area is spared these black outs because important people live there... (Don't get the impression I'm living in a barbed wire-enclosed facility though: I would never stand that.)

I couldn't sleep and got up at 5am to turn off my fridge because I could not bear the idea of a polluting engine burning fuel to keep my can of coke cool... In France I can always say it's nuclear or hydraulic energy but here I have no excuse. So all I'll use at my place will be shaver, electric toothbrush, cell phone charger, and a light from time to time to walk from the door to my bed ( 1.5 meters) or from my bed to the bathroom (2 meters) plus the fan... I have bad feelings about the fan, I must say.

Please, researchers and engineers at MIT, Stanford, Technion and elsewhere: we need cheap, environment friendly and long-lasting solar cells and a way to keep electricity for the night!

The good news are that I found out a mosquito net is great to let one sleep in peace (especially when there is no mosquito inside the net).

Two bridges connect the city to the other side of the river. I've driven through one of them and I think I now know what a bottleneck is...

I'll have to tell you about the Central Market as well... Next time, I have to work now.

Love life and live for love.

Joseph

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home