Joseph au Cambodge

Les merveilleuses aventures de votre serviteur au pays des Khmers

02 January 2007

Happy New Year

I would like to wish all my reader a happy New Year! May 2007 be a healthy and successful year to you all... Thank you for reading my blog in 2006, it is always comforting to know that I can share part of my experiences with you.

I was in Saigon for New Year's Eve and I hope to post pictures of the Reunification Palace (formerly the Presidential Palace) which I like a lot. Vietnam, by the way, is an amazing country. So much activity, so much developement, so many youth, so much noise from the motorcycles...

I would also like to submit to your consideration an article entitled "Foreign Aid, Creating conditions for the next civil war" by David Lempert, which I read in the current issue of the Phnom Penh Post. I won't comment, I'll let you read through and make your own opinion.

Anecdote: This morning my colleague Bunchheang made a presentation to a group of visitors about the computer technologies we use and how we use them. The funny thing is that I was taking a break, thinking our presentation was to start a bit later. When I heard applause, I went up to see that the presentation was finished! So my colleague said "And by the way, this is Joseph." :-) I'm glad my colleague made the presentation by himself, I may be allowed to go home pretty soon! ;-)

Lastly, Jean, the photographer, thought my (girl) friends may appreciate a picture while waiting for me to come home. I do try to post one from time to time, but he offers his version of me in front of the Center, and you'll indeed notice the difference with a "regular" picture...


© Jean de Calan

1 Comments:

At 06 January, 2007 22:27, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Joseph, happy new year!

I read the article following your recommendation. It seemed to be not too optimistic about Cambodia's future as far as I remember.

Around the new year here the predominant topic was the execution of Saddam Hussein, but Spiegel-online brought a very interesting article especially about Tuol Sleng and one of its survivors and in general about the Khmer-rouge-tribunal on its website:
http://www.spiegel.de/international/spiegel/0,1518,457806,00.html
(in English). Particularly the apologies of one of the followers of the regime were very interesting.

Greetings etc.
Bernd

 

Post a Comment

<< Home